Don't Give Up!

April 21, 2017  •  Leave a Comment


Kyle Elizabeth Cook




Planning a photography trip is exciting!  You plan where you want to go, where you want to stay, how long it takes to get there, what equipment to bring.  Up to the very day of the trip, you are checking the weather report, hoping it holds, or that it changes drastically.  


Melissa and I haven't been in the Smokies to shoot together for several years.  We were eager to see how this beautiful place was affected by the fires of last year - whether it helped or hindered the woodlands.  We'd been watching the weather forecast get worse and worse by the day. Now, we aren't ones to get scared off by a little rain, but when you are driving 5 or more hours to get somewhere, you don't want to have to sit in your tent all day, unable to get out for fear of drowning your camera. The forecast was calling for 80 to 100% chance of rain the entire time we were there.  We communicated back and forth on Messenger about what to do. I checked weather for the mountains in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina - ALL horrible weather predictions.  What to do?  Well.....there ARE some benefits of being on the TEAM for Grandfather Mountain photography events, besides the obvious joy of just being on the mountain, we have the perk of being able to stay in one of the small cabins on the mountain!  On the off chance that it wasn't being occupied this weekend, I called Frank and asked him if it was available and he said.....YES!  They would have to de-winterize it before we could use it, but it would be ready for us.  Thank you, Frank and the wonderful staff of Grandfather Mountain!


So, instead of deciding to stay home, we went to Grandfather Mountain! Is it supposed to rain?  Yes!  Are we stuck in a tent?  No!  We could actually work (with electricity!) if we couldn't shoot.  


The moral of the story is, don't give up!  You can find a place to be, and something to shoot, if you are stubborn enough, and lucky enough, you can work things out.  We beat all the odds this weekend (some of which included work events, twins, driving, weather) to make it all work. Hopefully, we'll get some nice images this weekend, and get some work done.  Spring is late to come up here - we had a beautiful evening last night; high winds this morning brought in cloudy skies and still promise to bring the stormy skies we have anticipated.  Sometimes the exact trip you plan is just not meant to be.  Go with the flow and find a way to  JUST DO IT!!!!


No comments posted.

Subscribe to My Weekly Blog

* indicates required